Saturday, May 4, 2013

Mother-Daughter Outing


I've set a bit of a dangerous precedent in my classroom this year.  I took Lb to watch some of the boys in my class play hockey (since Lb adores hockey and I didn't really feel like buying tickets to an expensive game somewhere).  He adored it and I became "hero teacher".  Then, we were invited to see the "Beauty and the Beast" skating show in which 3 students were skating.  Since Pk is doing skating and loves it, that was a natural fit, too.  Then, came the invitation to see one of my students in a local production of "Anne of Green Gables."  How would I say no?  Honestly, I also was interested in going.  One of my concerns when we moved out of the big city was that my children would lose the chance to learn about theatre and concerts and how to behave.  This was a perfect intro for Pk into the world of theatre.

It ended up being even more fun that I expected.  Pk and I don't get to be out much and since Lb has been rather demanding lately, Pk has been neglected a bit.  I had been feeling like she and I needed some mommy-Pk time.  Even better, Pk suggested that she bring "Jenna", her Maplelea doll.  Now, Jenna has been a big connector for us, too.  She came into our lives a funny way.  Actually, it was through the student who we were watching perform last night.  When she was in my class last year, she talked a lot about American Girl dolls.  One day, out of curiousity, we had a look online and Pk was in love.  I liked them but the cost and shipping was a bit steep.  I discovered (I can't remember how) that there is a Canadian doll company, Maplelea, that is very much like American Girl but has Canadian stories and a pick-up location that I practically drive by on my way home from work.  When we found Jenna, who has red hair, a highland dance outfit, plays soccer and has orange cats, Pk was in love.

Thursday night, Pk suggested that she take Jenna to the play.  That's when my brain went into overdrive.  I was pretty sure that Maplelea had an Anne of Green Gables outfit for Jenna.  I didn't think I could get it in time (they don't sell in stores) but I decided to call them and see.  Imagine my glee when I discovered that I could stop by the warehouse and pick one up on my way home from work.  Whee!  I know, I know, it's just stuff but it was for the mummy-Pk outing AND it was Anne (who I adored growing up).  Pk was thrilled and I think she stole the show, at least in the lobby, walking around with her red hair and her Anne doll.  It was a very special evening and I feel very lucky to be able to share such wonderful times with my daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment