Sunday, September 23, 2012

Fall Bucket List 2012


One problem with the combination of a cheap camera and a highly unskilled photographer is the inability to capture the beauty around me on film.  This afternoon, I took the dogs for a run and it was stunning.  It felt like everything had been painted with a brush of yellow - the goldenrod is out in full force and the yellow leaves seem to be moving more quickly than anything else.  I tend to think of September as a yellow month, followed by October which is filled with orange and rust.  Lovely!

Fall is my favourite season and every year, I find myself desperate to make the most of it.  My spring and summer bucket lists didn't seem to go anywhere but I am determined that the fall list will guide family life.  Here we go:

1.  Pick apples (which we have already done) and make applesauce.  I'd like to try my hand at canning some but this will not be the year.  If you want advice, check out Monica at "The Homespun Heart", who has quite a few wonderful posts about apples.

2.  Pumpkins - everything I can think of.  I want to make Dh a wonderful pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving.  I want to take the kids to the farm and pick pumpkins.  I want to do our annual fall photo shoot on the wagon at Betty's corn farm.  I want to make pumpkin bread and pumpkin muffins.

3.  Leaves - we want to rake leaves and jump in the piles.  I want to collect leaves and press them.  BHG has some great decorating and craft ideas with leaves and I wouldn't mind trying a few of those, too, but given the frenzy that is my life right now, I don't want to frustrate myself with endless things that become my list of what is not getting done.

4.  Knitting - I want to finish the Guernsey wrap and ideally, make a baby blanket for a friend who is due soon and a wrap for my mom for Christmas.  It remains to be seen whether I will be that disciplined.

5.  I want to walk in the forest and admire the colours at least once.

6.  I want to find a recipe for killer apple pie.  I have a decent recipe but it isn't earth shaking.

7.  I want to have fun with Halloween this year.  Since I have decided that it's o.k. for our family as long as we are careful, I want to make it a time of happy family memories.  I want us all to dress up.

8.  I want to burn candles, a lot.

9.  I want to make cider for everyone after we have been outside so that the house smells heavenly.

10.  I want to buy a new down vest in a great colour.

11.  I want to find some new traditions to incorporate for Thanksgiving.

12.  I want to comb Pinterest for ideas to make Christmas special this year.  I want to do lots of planning so that by the time Christmas arrives, I am ready and not feeling overwhelmed.

13.  I want to get back in the habit of blogging.  I want to clean out my Reader subscriptions so that I can manage them and don't find it so overwhelming to read so much.  I want to help my computer time to be more structured so I don't waste so much time.

14.  I want to wear clothing that makes me feel good.

15.  I desperately want a way to embrace the concept of Sabbath.  Especially since I became the Children's Worship coordinator at our church, I find that Sundays are my worst day and by mid afternoon, I am ready to crawl into a cave and hide, I feel so overwhelmed.  I need to get the work done sooner in the week, to ask Dh more specifically for the help I need (and stop waiting for him to see that I need help and jump in, men just can't seem to do that) and to learn to enjoy the day.

I'm sure that I have forgotten some things and I will add them later.  What are you adding to your Fall bucket list?

No comments:

Post a Comment