Sunday, August 5, 2012

Enfamil Ad

I sent this letter to Canadian Family today.  My blood is boiling.






Hello.
I have been a subscriber of your magazine off and on for several years and generally have really enjoyed it.  As of this point, I will not be renewing my subscription.

I recently received your latest issue and was scanning through and happened to notice the Enfamil ad which appeared on page 20.  I read it carefully because the implied message was most definitely that Enfamil formula promotes  babies rolling over and meeting milestones.  I couldn't believe it.  When research very clearly indicates that babies are much better served in terms of their long term health development by being breast fed, I cannot believe that your magazine would choose to publish advertising that implies that formula promotes better development.  I did some research and based on information from the Mead Johnson website, there was a study published that Enfamil Premium Infant has proven clinical outcomes in growth, brain and eye and immune system development AS COMPARED TO THEIR DISCONTINUED Enfamil WITHOUT DHA  (http://www.mjn.com/app/iwp/hcp2/content2.do?dm=mj&id=/HCP_Home2/ProductInformation/hcpProducts/hcpInfants/hcpImprovedPREMIUM&iwpst=HCP&ls=0&csred=1&r=3521653709).  Seriously?  A study that shows that new formula is better than old formula makes it o.k. to publish ads that clearly imply, if not directly state, that this formula will promote achievement of milestones?  How many worried mothers, either without the skills to research themselves or who are desperately worried about a baby who isn't meeting milestones (and we all know how much most mothers worry), will go and buy formula and interfere with or discontinue entirely, breastfeeding a baby???  Particularly given the cost of formula, I believe that this misleading advertising is unconscionable.  That your magazine chooses to publish this proves to me that you are not concerned about the well-being of children - advertising revenue is of a higher importance.  That being the case, I have no wish to continue receiving your magazine.

I hope that you will carefully consider whether this is money that you want to receive.  I know that I would feel very uncomfortable in your position.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I had to go online to find said article and I am just as disgusted as you. Good for you for writing them and not renewing your subscription.

    I am appalled.

    ReplyDelete