Saturday, December 31, 2011

For a New Year

I love the idea of a fresh start.  Every September, as I begin a new year back at work, every birthday when I reach a new milestone and every December 31st, I get that wonderful "new notebook" feeling.  When I was younger and didn't have so much stuff, one of my favourite things to do was to rearrange a room, just to feel everything from a new perspective.   While I can't do quite that large a shift, I am, yet again, hoping to see life from a different angle.

During the last few years, I haven't found that making resolutions has been all that effective.  On the other hand, a number of my favourite bloggers have shared a word for each year - something upon which they want to focus, a way to set a tone or upon which to realign life.  Last year, my word was "peace", and while I can't say that I was always successful, I did manage to find a bit more.

This year, there is a word that has really leapt to my mind and once I began to think about it, I found it captured exactly where I want to be going this year.  That word is "today".  Initially, that might seem a bit strange.  Let me explain.

It began with reading this passage again.

22 Then Jesus said to his disciples: “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. 23 For life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. 24 Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! 25 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life[b]? 26 Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?
   27 “Consider how the wild flowers grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 28 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you—you of little faith! 29 And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. 30 For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. 31 But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well.
   32 “Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom.

 Luke 12:22 - 32

As you know, I struggle with worry and often, about things about which I have no control.  Then, the 2-and-a-half year old daughter of a family at my school was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor.  One day, the family was bumping along with life as normal and then, all of a sudden, their world was turned upside down and they realised that they might not even have their daughter a year from now.  I have had times in the last few years, when life has been fine and then, one day, something goes seriously wrong that I wasn't expecting and I realize that whatever is overwhelming me now wasn't even on the radar before and yet I had no idea how lucky I was when things were fine.  Earlier this year, someone I was at school with died of cancer.  She had discovered a breast lump when she was 8 months pregnant and by the time her son was 4, she was gone.  I worry about not being here for my children and yet I don't always take advantage of the day I was given.  While I am not advocating living with reckless abandon, I want today to be my focus this year.

Today... I will take time to connect with each member of my family.

Today... I will find a few moments of quiet to journal, to read or knit or just to pray.

Today... I will take the time to contact someone who is on my mind instead of putting it off until tomorrow.

Today... I will say thank you.

Today... I will make healthy choices instead of putting them off for tomorrow.

Today... I will strive to impact someone's life in a positive way and to reach out.

Today... I will live the way that I want to live and that matches what matters to me.

In less than an hour, today will be a new year.  I wish you a year of wonderful todays and I look forward to hearing from all of you!  Blessings for 2012!

1 comment:

  1. Great word! Such a wonderful reminder to live in the present, enjoy the present, and to put aside worries. I am catching up in my reader, I have 27 posts from you to read!! :) Oh! My word this year is grace. Our family word is simplicity. I haven't posted about either of them yet.

    ReplyDelete