Tuesday, October 12, 2010

High Fructose Corn Syrup

I try to feed my family as healthily as I can and one way I do that is by reading what I can about new developments in food. Generally, we eat fairly well and I try to make as much as I can from scratch but it doesn't always happen. I have seen quite a bit in the media about H.F.C.S. and initially, I searched labels for it as an ingredient in products that we eat. Fortunately, I never saw it listed anywhere so I thought we were safe. I was wrong.

According to an article that I saw online on Sunday, in Canada, HFCS is not called that here. We called it "glucose-fructose". To see the article, click here. Of course, me being me, I had to go and check. Here are a few of the products that we found in our house that contain it (as listed on the label):





I wasn't so surprised about the cereal (we are oatmeal people generally since I think cereal has a lot of ingredients about which I am not so keen). I wasn't so surprised about the HP either since I know that ketchup is notorious for HFCS (I am hoping that if I buy the English-made HP at our local British shop that it will be o.k.) but bread? Really? I mean, it's not like we are eating white Wonderbread, we always go as natural as we can and whole wheat. Why does it need HFCS???

Guess I need to start really reading labels.

No comments:

Post a Comment