Sunday, April 11, 2010

New Bedrooms

With the impending arrival, we decided that it was time to do some shifting. Pk has been sleeping in the room right next to ours and it just made sense to move her into the bedroom down the hall (where, hopefully, she won't be disturbed too much by a crying baby and all the nighttime action). We wanted to make the move as early as we could since we didn't want her to feel like she was being displaced.

I can't think Dh enough for the painting. In the past, I have always been the family painter as Dh HATES painting. This year, though, I have been feeling pretty exhausted with the pregnancy so he took it upon himself to get things going. Pk adores her new room. She picked the curtains and the curtain rod (she is THRILLED that it has butterflies on it) and seems pretty happy with the whole thing. I am not sure that it is quite finished but we are getting there. In our quest for frugality, we were thrilled to have a neighbour offer us the beside table and the bedframe. They were VERY dated and an ugly brown with brass fixtures. A coat of white paint and new handles made a huge difference. We really want to find a nice bedskirt for the bed so let me know if you have a good source.

We had lots of fun with the pictures on the wall. Pk has several big favourites these days in terms of books and so we bought cheap frames from Ikea and then printed off pics from the net of her favourites (Max and Ruby, Larry Boy, Spot, Clifford, Franklin and, of course, Thomas and Friends). She loves them and now, we can change them when a new love comes along.
Dh has also been hard at work in the baby's room. Again, in the name of frugality, we decided to "borrow" the leftover paint from Pk's room and use that, along with cream and, what you can't see, is the blue accent wall. I have always wanted to do a boy's room in a Noah's Ark theme and while the border isn't exactly what I wanted, I think it looks really nice. We have alot still to do but it's nice to feel like we are on the way. Pk is very excited about the Noah's Ark theme so last night, as our bedtime stories, we read Two by Two by Barbara Reid (one of our favourite author/illustrators) and in Pk's Bible, we also read the Noah story. I have been very naughty, cruising Etsy in search of some nice Noah's Ark treasures to add to the room. I haven't bought anything yet but there are a few things that I think I might just have to indulge in. One thing I like best is a Noah's Ark quilt. I made a quilt for Pk but I have just been too tired and busy with this pregnancy to make one for this baby. I don't want him to feel left out so I think I can justify buying one. I also love shopping from Etsy and feeling like I am supporting small-business crafters.
It's a bit overwhelming with all the changes but I have to admit, I am getting really excited.

3 comments:

  1. Looking good! It's amazing how much a lick of white paint will hide when it comes to ugly furniture. And I am mailing Pk's little treat for her new room tomorrow, and am happy to see from this that it will go perfectly with something else in the room...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, both rooms are so cute! I really think that green looks SO nice in both of them! And it's neat how it ties together their rooms as siblings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the room! So cute!

    I love repurposing old furniture... just recently gave an old changetable a coat of black paint to suit the house decor a bit better, and it looks like such a nice piece of furniture!

    I'm super tired from this pregnancy too. Is it something about chasing around a toddler while being pregnant that does this?

    ReplyDelete