Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Mind Candy...

I love doing studies and book groups. I think I miss being a student in some ways and keeping involved in studies helps me feel like my mind is fresh. Since faith is so important to my life these days, it's no surprise that the two studies I am doing right now (or starting to do) are faith-related. It also helps that both are for people like me who are struggling with issues that seem to keep recurring.

The first study that I am doing (well, it's not exactly a study but a blog discussion) is with Beth Moore's newest book, So Long Insecurity. I love Beth Moore. I discovered her through the blogger Bible study group that I joined and so far, I have done three of her Bible studies and really loved each one. I have learned so much and Beth has a gift for making things challenging but engaging at the same time. This book is a bit different but equally impactful. With this study, there is a reading assignment and then questions to be done and then responses can be posted on the LPM blog.
At church, our small groups are reconfiguring and for now, I have decided to join a book discussion group (I debated doing the in-depth Bible study but it is on an evening that isn't good for me). This isn't a hard choice - I LOVE Max Lucado and he has such wonderful things to say. I have wanted to read this book anyway, so it provides the perfect excuse. I love having a chance to sit around and chat about what I have read.

What are you reading these days?



3 comments:

  1. Well I'm reading the Beth Moore book too!

    And I've stumbled upon a new author...Gary Thomas. I read "Sacred Influence" and it's one of those books I think every single woman who is married or will soon be married should read. I just picked up another of his books, "Authentic Faith" from the library!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to read Gary Thomas. I have heard him interviewed and from what I hear, he is WONDERFUL! Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My book club choice this month is The Help, which is a really good read, if angering in places. There will be lots to talk about, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete