Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Gratitude 77

I haven't been keeping up with the Gratitude posts and I think it is time to go back. It really helps to keep from getting overwhelmed when I try and focus on something for which to be grateful. I know that I am really lucky compared to so many and I have been blessed with so many gifts. These days, I have felt myself sinking a bit into dissatisfaction with life. It's time to change the focus.

Today, I got up feeling really tired and discouraged. My guess is that it has more to do with the dreary winter weather and hormones than anything else but that doesn't make it any less oppressive. We are in the throws of report card writing at work and I have been feeling very overwhelmed. Everyone is feeling the same way and that doesn't help, either. One side effect that often goes along with these feelings for me is the feeling of being very isolated and I also tend to start getting anxious. Today, I had really hit that wall.

As teachers, we are entitle to a certain amount of "prep time" - time when another teacher comes in to take care of the class so that I have a chance to do a bit of my work. I usually stay in the classroom and do work on the computer. Today, Mrs. B., a very sweet young teacher arrived to do art with my class. About half way through the lesson, she came over to me and said, "One of these days, I really want to talk to you about that book on your desk." At first, I wondered what she was talking about and then I realised she meant my devotions book - I have a book "Daily Moments with God for Teachers". I immediately asked what she wanted to know and it turned into a wonderful conversation. I didn't know but she is a Christian and feels very isolated. She had seen the book on my desk and wondered about whether that was something we shared but she didn't want to presume and cause any offense. I am used to being the only Christian in most of the places I have worked so I don't think about it all that much. I don't advertise it loudly but I don't hide it and I try to make it evident to people without being in-your-face about it. We had a wonderful in-depth conversation and I get the feeling that it might be the start of a great friendship. The best part was that she told me all about her husband who had leukemia as a child and has to go for annual appointments to check for recurrance of the cancer. She was saying that he inspires her because he is never afraid, he just trusts God to do what is for the best. I NEEDED to hear that today.

I am grateful for those little connections that can make such a difference on a bad day.

2 comments:

  1. helps to keep from getting overwhelmed

    oh how I related to this comment...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you found each other - it is so good to have a connection with someone you work with, and a friend you can talk to when stupid things happen at work.

    ReplyDelete