Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas Memories


Like with everything, I always have my hopes up for what Christmas will be like and what the memories will be.  Things are rarely what I expect.

It was a nice Christmas this year.  Now that we are in our church home, we were able to start our Christmas celebration there on Christmas Eve.  The first service was so much fun - our minister did a spontaneous nativity play using congregation members as actors.  I hadn't expected to see my father wearing gauzy-yellow angel wings and my husband dressed as a wise man who looked like a Harlem reject from 1974 :-).  The second service was more somber and ended with candlelight.  For those of you who don't go to church, if you ever just want to drop in sometime, go on Christmas Eve.  It is always beautiful.

Christmas Day ended up being a bit frantic and frenzied, despite our plans otherwise.  The most wonderful part for me was that Pk loved the gift that I was most excited to give her and it cost exactly $5.95.  I bought her a set of window crayons, which she has used off and on since opening them yesterday morning.  That's the picture above - her art on our large front window.  It was wonderful to "get it right" and, silly sentimental fool that I am, I am looking forward to coming home and seeing her presence announced in the front window.  Anyway, we did the family thing, ate way too much, have the usual family yummy recipes that nobody else eats (my grandma was the queen of jellied salads and while they are "out" these days, it wouldn't be Christmas without ribbon salad and snow pudding with custard sauce).  We went to bed feeling overstuffed and lazy.


My big treat happened this morning.  As my Christmas gift, not only did Dh get me a gift certificate to my favourite yarn store, he gave me a gift certificate entitling me to being taken there at 9:30 this morning before they opened to wait for their big Boxing Day sale which begins at 10 to be followed by a Tim Horton's Ice Cap on the way home (o.k., I know, I am a cheap date).   Between my gift certificate and the 30% off my favourite yarn, Sirdar Baby Bamboo, I was able to get yarn for THREE sweaters for Pk and $136 worth of yarn cost me $44.  I can't wait to start knitting.  I just have to decide which one to make first! 

Now, to eat up the leftovers, repair the damage to the house and get ready for all of our visiting over the next week.  I hope you had a nice Christmas!


2 comments:

  1. That's awesome, and I LOVE the blue and green colours - beautiful, how that blue is ever so slightly periwinklish. I know you'll do something lovely. And maybe even something for the new babe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will do some baby knitting at some point but I have to be honest, I am wanting to spoil P right now. I know every mother feels this way but I am feeling a bit guilty about having another baby - I don't want her to feel replaced.
    I love the blue, too. It was such a toss up - there were so lovely colours but the practical side of me knows that I need to make things that will match what she has.

    ReplyDelete