Friday, November 13, 2009

New Christmas Traditions

I have been thinking about how to make Christmas more meaningful for us as a family and this morning, I stumbled across this post in reader from Simple Mom.  I love the idea of the Jesse Tree.  We always get an advent calendar, although I find it is getting harder and harder to find a nice one that isn't Santa and the elves.  It has always bothered me that advent calendars didn't start on the first Sunday of advent, either (silly, I know, but we always CELEBRATED the first Sunday of advent in my family, it was the true kick-off to the Christmas season and it's always when we decorate the house).  I don't think I will have time to get ornaments for a Jesse tree this year but I did stumble across this pattern book for them and I just might have to try them for next year.  I haven't done any cross stitch in years but I like the idea of little projects that I might actually finish.  For more info, have a look here.  I am also the fellowship coordinator at church and am supposed to be planning a first Sunday of Advent decorating party/potluck.  I am trying to think of how we might do a Chrismons tree with simple ornaments that can be made the day of.  Let me know if you have any ideas!

1 comment:

  1. What we have is a cabinet with 25 little doors that I can fill with whatever I like - small things that can be made age-appropriate. It's based on one my mom made one years when I was in undergrad and away - she had sewn 25 wee bags tied shut with ribbons and attached to a board, which worked nicely, too. That way, it's not themed, it's not chocolate, and you determine what your child gets in both gift and message each day. It could be filled with small messages, stickers, or an assortment of treats. i LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete