Saturday, October 10, 2009

Ten Years

It is hard to believe that it was ten years ago that this photo was taken.  We were so excited and yet so nervous - marriage wasn't scary but somehow, getting married really was (although, now, looking at some of the issues with Dh's family, I can see that we had some reason to be nervous).  It ended up being a wonderful day - my only regret was that I didn't slow down to savour it more.  It was such a meaningful day for us, surrounded by the people we love(d) most, in a sanctuary that meant so much to us and as a symbol of a life together.   We had a group shot done of our guests on the steps outside the sanctuary and it is posted on the wall in our hallway.  I frequently notice people in the photo as I walk by.  There are a few that we don't see anymore - several have died, a few have drifted out of our lives but most are still factors in our lives.

Ten years have passed.  We have added a car, a house, two dogs, a cat and finally, a child, since then.  We have a lot more stuff, a lot more debt and a lot more memories.  We have gone through some really hard times and some absolutely wonderful times.  Our dreams are largely the same, if a bit scaled down, our pleasures have changed somewhat, although we still value the same things and we are both feeling much older.  For all that change, though, there are some things that have remained the same.

Dh can still make me laugh at the most inappropriate moments (a talent that I HIGHLY value).  Dh still makes me smile, still knows how to make the ordinary just that little bit extraordinary, still can drive me crazy, still can make me feel safe and still can make me see things in a different way.  I wouldn't trade the last ten years for anything and I have this sense that our marriage is like a fine wine.  It definitely gets better with age, whatever struggles we have had.

After ten years, life is good.

3 comments:

  1. CONGRATS ON 10 YEARS!!!! That is awesome. Your wedding picture is amazing and this post is beautiful! I hope you have a great Anniversary day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary! Congrats on 10 years...may the next 10 years bring lots more memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I can't believe I missed this. Am now starting back a few weeks back and reading forward, since things have been so hectic. it's true, it's nice to look back and reflect. I'm glad life is feeling so much better. and congratulations - it was a really nice, personal, meaningful wedding, which is highest praise from me. And you, you were gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete