Wednesday, October 28, 2009

More H1N1

O.k., now I am feeling a bit reassured.  I went to a presentation at the hospital last night on H1N1 and pregnancy and at least now, I feel like I have the facts.  It's not entirely reassuring given that the WHO is saying that pregnant women should get the non-ajuvented version of the shot which isn't available here yet and quite possible won't be until the end of November (although I read yesterday that Health Canada is buying it from Australia so it might be here early).  On the reassuring side, however, I did find out the Pk will qualify for the non-ajuvented version because she is under age 3 (I have really been struggling about what to do with her and the ajuvent was one of my biggest concerns).  I also found out that I was on the mark with the prescription for Tamiflu - according to the ob who was there last night, if you are pregnant, your doctor is supposed to offer you a script for Tamiflu so that you can have it on hand if you need it and their recommendation was that we should all ask for it.  I have emailed my doc and have asked for her to fax me a script.  Probably paranoid but given that there were a few other pregnant teachers from my school who were there last night who told me that we have at least one staff member at work who has a child with a confirmed case of H1N1, I think the threat is definitely fairly real.
I just wish that the media wasn't in such a frenzy about this.  It's all anyone at work can talk about and I know that some of the other pregnant teachers are really, really scared.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are feeling more at ease with the whole thing now - I know how stressed you get!

    I really do agree that protecting yourself from something with this potential for complications is important. I do know a couple of people whose young children have had it, but I also know that it's becoming huge for some people that it shouldn't, so I feel like there's something about the disease that is not quite understood enough to risk it. Between young kids and being that risky 30-sthg female category, I can't risk it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara (from Bible study) and her three daughters, ages 5, 3, and 9 months....all have it. We are just praying it is mild for them and it will pass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Tara. The 9 month old would worry me most. I will be praying for them!

    ReplyDelete