Saturday, October 10, 2009

Gratitude 62




I am grateful for Thanksgiving.  It's "Canadian" Thanksgiving this weekend (or just Thanksgiving for us up here) and it is my favourite celebration.  To me, it seems like the one holiday that hasn't been turned into a major shopping event.  I can sit with my class, in a public school, and we can openly talk about giving thanks and feeling grateful for what we have.  We aren't talking about the gifts we want, the money we are going to spend or what we will get.  It's nice to have a holiday that is all about being together and sharing.

Since I love fall so much, it's pretty natural that this would be a favourite time for me.  Our minister sent out an email yesterday inviting anyone who is interested to bring anything they had for fall decorating and come to the church this morning at 10.  Dh, Pk and I went up to our favourite farm stand to buy corn stalks, hay bales, pumpkins and gourds and ran up to the church (as an aside, the former city girl in me loves the fact that this stand isn't manned, there is just prices posted and a big wooden box to put your cash in, with a little note saying that there is change available if you drive up to the house).  This is the first year that we are in our own church building for Thanksgiving so we were pretty enthusiastic.  The finished result looks gorgeous and is so exciting to us all.    We had all kinds of things donated - stuff grown in people's gardens, wild flowers picked from ditches at the side of the road and leftover wedding supplies.  
We were supposed to go down to my parents' house for dinner but my brother is really sick so that got nixed.  Dh and I bought a turkey breast and roasted that tonight and did stuffing, gravy, potatoes, etc and it was really nice.  I have so much to be thankful for and it is so nice to have a time of year that reminds me to do that.  It's also nice that we have two more days left of weekend to spend together as a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment