Friday, September 11, 2009

Friday Faves - Old Hymn and Modern Worship Song


I wasn't planning on doing a post today but when I saw Missy's topic for today, I couldn't resist.  I love hymns.  I make a fool of myself in church so often because I cry.  It's so ridiculous, there are a host of hymns that reduce me to a blithering idiot.  I stand there, trying to sing, tears streaming down my face and it's embarassing but so wonderful at the same time.  There have been a few times when I had hymns on the car and I have been driving along the road, crying (of course) and wondered what on earth I would say to explain myself if the police ever pulled me over.  

So, old hymns.  Be Thou My Vision is my favourite of all time.  It tears me up each and every time.  I love the verse with the line "Thou mine inheritance through all my days..." - that reminds me so much of my grandmother and my great aunts.


Be Thou My Vision - Selah

I also love a few others:

Ride on, Ride, on always makes an impression on me.  This verse:

 "Ride on, ride on, in majesty!
The angel armies of the sky
Look down with sad and wondering eyes
To see the approaching Sacrifice."

totally breaks me up.  It didn't get me too badly until one Sunday, at church, Dad and I were together and I realised when we came to this, he was crying.  Dad told me after that he just gets this picture in his mind of the angels, watching in horror, as they realise what is to happen.  I always know I will leave a Good Friday service with a headache from the tears. 



Ride On Ride On In Majesty - Performance Artist

and there are so many others - Holy, Holy, Holy, Morning has Broken, O Sacred Head Sore Wounded, On Jordan's Bank,  Thine Be the Glory, any of the hymns with big Hallelujahs and of course, one of my all time favourites, Praise My Soul the King of Heaven.

The new worship songs I love are pretty standard.  I LOVE In Christ Alone, The River Is Here (I HAVE to dance to that one), He Reigns, Here I am to Worship, Open the Eyes of My Heart... the list goes on.  Our minister does a great job of blending old hymns and worship music and I could sing and sing and sing...

4 comments:

  1. Awesome.

    I blubber to Christmas carols. ALL Christmas carols. I got all worked up recently over The Little Drummer Boy - THE JOAN JETT VERSION. How pathetic is that??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be Thou My Vision was the hymn I almost blogged about, A friend of the family passed away while her family sung that song to her. It was a blessed moment. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your love for hymns. And no need to apologize for shedding tears over the powerful message of these songs. (Hey! I've done it myself--and I'm a guy!) I can recall being deeply touched when we sang "Be Still, My Soul," one Sunday. I'd being going through a very rough time, and very much needed the words, "Be still my soul: the waves and winds still know / His voice who ruled them while He dwelt below."

    Let's not only keep on enjoying these wonderful songs, but encouraging others with them. And if you'll forgive a blatant "commercial" at this point: do check out my daily blog, Wordwise Hymns. There I tell things that happened in hymn history on each day of the year. God bless.

    ReplyDelete