Thursday, August 6, 2009

Gratitude 14

Today we went to pick our own raspberries and beans.  I found a place whose produce is all chemical free (important for me, if possible).   Up until now, I have bought organic when I could but I also try to buy as much local as I can, especially when I can get it directly from the farmer (why should all the middle-people get the money).  

While I was picking, I got thinking about how lucky we are.  Picking the berries was fun but I began to realise as the sun got hot and I started to get tired, that really, I am very lucky that I could just skim along, taking what I wanted and wasn't responsible for finding every ripe berry.  I don't have to do much work to get the food that I eat and someone else does all that work for me.  I am not mindful about where my food comes from or whose labour goes into producing it.  I am going to try to think a bit more (and to waste a lot less) about our food and to give Pk lots of chances to get out there and see where our food comes from.  Here's hoping she learns the lesson faster than I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment