Saturday, May 30, 2009

Funny Story

I had to laugh.  After yesterday's post, when I mentioned Christian hospitality and lemon bread, we had a funny event here last night.  

To understand the story, you need to understand that Dh grew up in a small town and he will talk to ANYONE.  When we were in the city, it was a bit alarming.  Living here, I wonder whether people think he is one of the local crazies but at least he is viewed as being friendly.

So... just before I took the dogs for a walk, the doorbell rang and it was a young man collecting pledges for Sick Kids Hospital.  He started his spiel and I asked him to stop and come back.  I didn't want to commit without talking to Dh.  We usually do all our giving at church but looking at the pictures of all the sick children and thinking of the people we have known who have had to use Sick Kids in sad circumstances, I felt like we should probably give.  He agreed to come back after dinner.

7:30 arrived and no guy.  I wondered but wasn't too concerned.  I did Pk's bath and she was in her jammies getting ready for bed when I heard a strange voice.  My FIL came to tell me that it was the guy back from Sick Kids.  I got Pk down (it was a task last night) and when I finally came out of Pk's room, I could still hear voices.  I got to the top of the stairs and Dh opened the door and said, "It's the Sick Kids people.  I've agreed to pledge but they need their ride back to Toronto and he isn't here.  It's raining."  I could see what he was working up to.  "Do you want to invite them in?"  "Well, I think we should".  Next thing I knew, we had two people sitting on our rec room couch, drinking tea and eating the lemon bread.  They were very grateful and made a lot of comments about my selling the lemon bread....

So, if my blog disappears, you will know that my computer has been stolen by the people who scouted out our house.  Luckily, it really  is the only thing we have worth stealing.

1 comment:

  1. Well, luckily your blog doesn't live in your computer... it's also one of the nice things about not being a big conspicuous spender on things like electronics that thieves would love! There is little that sits in our home alone that would be a big loss, and I think you are the same.

    ReplyDelete