Thursday, May 14, 2009

Fruit and Veggie Challenge

Well, now for something completely different.

When Laura at Heavenly Homemakers posted this idea, I was so there!  I plan to eat lots of fruit and veggies and we probably don't do too badly but I know that it is not enough.  Especially when Pk is at the stage of really forming her tastes, I need to give her more opportunities to learn to like fruit and veggies but they tend to be more of an afterthought that then focus of a meal.  It's time to be more deliberate.

I am pretty good with breakfast and lunch.  We always have fruit at breakfast and since I hate packing lunches, I tend to pack exactly the same thing every day.  I have this wonderful little lunch bento box which just invites the packing of fruit and veggies.  I tend to be pretty boring - most days, it is carrots and canteloupe and sometimes I might have peppers in my lentil salad.  It's dinner that is the struggle.  By the time I have the meat and rice or pasta, I am pretty tired of cooking.

This week, I have been better.  On Tuesday, we had a nice marinated mushroom salad that was pretty good.  I have done our favourite stir fried snow peas with basil and garlic (LOVE IT!) and last night, we had a real treat.  I love asparagus but dh hates it so I don't make it often.  We had it the last two nights because my father was here and loves it too.  The great thing is, Pk ate it as well!!!!    She loves fruit (eats melon like it is going out of style) but doesn't want anything to do with anything green.  She liked the asparagus (watch me make it every day for the next month until she refused to eat it).  I am going to keep trying and see what else I can get her to eat.

As an aside, I have found one way to get Pk to get greens.  She loves these electric green popsicles that someone sent me the recipe for.  You take a pineapple, 2 bananas and I think it was 1 c of spinach and blend it until it is the consistency of a smoothie.  Pour it in popsicle moulds and you have wonderful, sweet and full of greens treats.  She loves those (although it feels like our house is now coated in green slime).

I almost forgot to tell you that we also started our veggie planting for the year yesterday - we got our potatoes planted in the garbage can.  Will let you know how it goes...

How are you doing on the fruit and veggie count?

2 comments:

  1. I think Misterpie will want to know about the garbage can planting - he wants to do tomoatoes that way (and hopefully will remember to care for them this year...). We are not as diverse as I'd like in our fruit and veg, but we do eat it, and I try to pick up some extra yummy ones for treats from our fruit stands when I feel like it's getting dull.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those smoothies sound interesting, but worth a try!

    ReplyDelete